Get important information on California DMV services and how the Corona Virus is effecting the department. This post information is current as of today March 19 2020 but please be aware changes are happening daily.
California DMV Announces Following Actions Due To Corona Virus.
The California Department of Motor Vehicles announced actions Wednesday. These include the following:
- moving to appointment-only visits
- rescheduling drive tests
- suspending extended hours
The reason is to protect employees and visitors at DMV offices during the corona virus pandemic.
Officials said the DMV will start calling people to reschedule drive tests that were scheduled for the next 30 days, and it is suspending extended office hours and Saturday field office services.
Available Online DMV Options.
The following services can be done online at the California DMV Website
- Renew a drivers license or id card (must set up a online account)
- Request a driving record ( must set up a online account
- Renew vehicle registration or file for non op
- Replacement license plate sticker
- Request your vehicle record
- Pay $14.00 registration suspension fee
- Complete a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability
- Add or remove an Affidavit of Non-Use
- Order Special Interest and Personalized Plates
- Calculate an estimate of your vehicle registration fees and Vehicle License Fees for tax purposes
- Request a refund of vehicle/vessel license fees
- Change of Address – online account required
- DMV Anytime shows the nearest location to complete your vehicle registration needs. Business Partners, DMV Kiosks, or AAAs
- Fill out a driver license and identification card application
- Make an appointment
- Motor Carrier Permit Online Renewal
- Motor Carrier Permit Active Carrier List
- Register to Vote with the CA Secretary of State
- Find a Traffic School
- Pay Traffic Tickets – search by county
- Check the current licenses status of business licensed by DMV
- Mobilehome Registration Renewal
- Report Technical issues such as broken links, issues with online forms, etc.
- Alert: Unoffical DMV Websites
DMV Services By Appointment Only
Driver license transactions that require an in-office visit include applications for a new driver license or REAL ID, knowledge tests for people who are 70-years-old or older, people who are required to renew in the office, people who need vision testing and people with complex driving history,” the department said. Seating is also being reduced in offices to create more space between seats.
Offices are open only for services that were made by appointments starting on Thursday. The department said it is using other social distancing measures to prevent a large congregation of people within DMV offices, such as offering a texting service so people can check in, leave the office and then come back inside one they’re notified of their place in line via text.
Filing a SR22 Insurance Certificate To Reinstate Driving Privilege.
If the California DMV is requiring a SR22 Insurance certificate your insurance company is still filing electronically with them and there is no need to walk the sr22 filing in to a local DMV office.